[USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hello everyone,

I’m trying to make a transmission with a USRP B210 and GNU Radio. The first time I try, everything goes fine, the firmware gets flashed and the transmission starts normally.

From the second time on, however, I get a problem like this one:

File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 315, in <module>
    main()
  File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 303, in main
    tb = top_block_cls()
  File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 85, in __init__
    channels=range(1),
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py", line 122, in constructor_interceptor
    return old_constructor(*args)
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line 3010, in make
    return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
RuntimeError: RuntimeError: fifo ctrl timed out getting a send buffer

>>> Done (return code 1)

To make it work again, I have to physically disconnect the USB port, reconnect and retry.

Has anyone who is a Mac user seen this problem before? It looks like a FIFO thing, but I’m out of ideas on how to deal with it…

I’m on El Captain, most up-to-date version, with a recently built UHD and GNU Radio.

Thanks,

Leonardo Cardoso

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
HI Leonardo - I don't see this issue with my B210, but I've almost never
had issues with it. Did you install UHD via MacPorts or some other
means? Is it a release or some other version? You can the basic info by
executing "uhd_config_info" in a shell. Do you get the same error if you
execute "uhd_fft" multiple times in a row? - MLD

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 12:26 PM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso via
USRP-users wrote:

> I’m trying to make a transmission with a USRP B210 and GNU Radio. The
> first time I try, everything goes fine, the firmware gets flashed and the
> transmission starts normally.
>
> From the second time on, however, I get a problem like this one:
>
> File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 315, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 303, in main
>     tb = top_block_cls()
>   File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 85, in __init__
>     channels=range(1),
>   File
>   "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py",
>   line 122, in constructor_interceptor
>     return old_constructor(*args)
>   File
>   "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py",
>   line 3010, in make
>     return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
> RuntimeError: RuntimeError: fifo ctrl timed out getting a send buffer

> To make it work again, I have to physically disconnect the USB port,
> reconnect and retry.
>
> Has anyone who is a Mac user seen this problem before? It looks like a
> FIFO thing, but I’m out of ideas on how to deal with it…
>
> I’m on El Captain, most up-to-date version, with a recently built UHD and
> GNU Radio.

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Thanks Michael,

Until now I've never had issues with it, but recently I had to reinstall my system and now hell broke loose!

Yes, I’ve installed everything through macports. My reinstall is of last week. If I’m not mistaken it is the release (stable) version.

This is what “uhd_config_info” tells me:

Mac OS; Clang version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31); Boost_105900; UHD_003.010.000.000-MacPorts-Release

And, “uhd_fft" gives me exactly the same problem.

Cheers,

Leo

> On 03 Oct 2016, at 18:37, Michael Dickens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI Leonardo - I don't see this issue with my B210, but I've almost never
> had issues with it. Did you install UHD via MacPorts or some other
> means? Is it a release or some other version? You can the basic info by
> executing "uhd_config_info" in a shell. Do you get the same error if you
> execute "uhd_fft" multiple times in a row? - MLD
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 12:26 PM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso via
> USRP-users wrote:
>> I’m trying to make a transmission with a USRP B210 and GNU Radio. The
>> first time I try, everything goes fine, the firmware gets flashed and the
>> transmission starts normally.
>>
>> From the second time on, however, I get a problem like this one:
>>
>> File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 315, in <module>
>>    main()
>>  File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 303, in main
>>    tb = top_block_cls()
>>  File "/Users/lcardoso/Devel/GRC-leo/top_block.py", line 85, in __init__
>>    channels=range(1),
>>  File
>>  "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py",
>>  line 122, in constructor_interceptor
>>    return old_constructor(*args)
>>  File
>>  "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py",
>>  line 3010, in make
>>    return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
>> RuntimeError: RuntimeError: fifo ctrl timed out getting a send buffer

>> To make it work again, I have to physically disconnect the USB port,
>> reconnect and retry.
>>
>> Has anyone who is a Mac user seen this problem before? It looks like a
>> FIFO thing, but I’m out of ideas on how to deal with it…
>>
>> I’m on El Captain, most up-to-date version, with a recently built UHD and
>> GNU Radio.

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi Leonardo  - OK; good data points.

Can you try the "uhd-devel" port & see if it fixes anything? It's
generally a drop-in replacement for "uhd". You can do this via:
{{{
sudo port -f deact uhd
sudo port install uhd-devel
}}}

 You'll want to re-link your project before trying again (probably don't
 need to, but it's a good idea).

Ditto for trying "uhd_fft" multiple times again. Thanks! - MLD

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 01:18 PM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:

> Until now I've never had issues with it, but recently I had to reinstall
> my system and now hell broke loose!
>
> Yes, I’ve installed everything through macports. My reinstall is of last
> week. If I’m not mistaken it is the release (stable) version.
>
> This is what “uhd_config_info” tells me:
>
> Mac OS; Clang version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31); Boost_105900;
> UHD_003.010.000.000-MacPorts-Release
>
> And, “uhd_fft" gives me exactly the same problem.

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi Michael,

Installed uhd-devel and launched uhd_fft. Another problem arises:

RuntimeError:
GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.0,
but UHD library reports ABI: 3.11.0
Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

At the same time I’ve been conducting tests on Sierra on another Mac (same macports gnuradio and UHD install). The I try uhd_fft i get:

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type uhd::io_error: EnvironmentError: IOError: usb rx6 transfer status: LIBUSB_TRANSFER_ERROR
Abort trap: 6

I dont know whats ABI, but I suppose its related to the issue. :)

Any clues?

Cheers,

Leo

> On 03 Oct 2016, at 19:27, Michael Dickens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Leonardo  - OK; good data points.
>
> Can you try the "uhd-devel" port & see if it fixes anything? It's
> generally a drop-in replacement for "uhd". You can do this via:
> {{{
> sudo port -f deact uhd
> sudo port install uhd-devel
> }}}
>
> You'll want to re-link your project before trying again (probably don't
> need to, but it's a good idea).
>
> Ditto for trying "uhd_fft" multiple times again. Thanks! - MLD
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 01:18 PM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:
>> Until now I've never had issues with it, but recently I had to reinstall
>> my system and now hell broke loose!
>>
>> Yes, I’ve installed everything through macports. My reinstall is of last
>> week. If I’m not mistaken it is the release (stable) version.
>>
>> This is what “uhd_config_info” tells me:
>>
>> Mac OS; Clang version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31); Boost_105900;
>> UHD_003.010.000.000-MacPorts-Release
>>
>> And, “uhd_fft" gives me exactly the same problem.

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi Leonardo  - Hmm ... OK; well, uhd-devel is not quite a drop-in
replacement for uhd I guess. Maybe it is with minor version changes
(e.g., 3.10.0 to 3.10.1)? Those clever UHD programmers at work, trying
to keep the ABIs honest ...

Anyway, you'll need to rebuild gnuradio to make use of the "new"
uhd-devel install. To make this easier, you can keep the release
versions as they are, and move to the devel versions for the latest
code:
{{{
sudo port -f deactivate gnuradio
sudo port install gnuradio-devel
}}}
After that, assuming it succeeds, do your testing & see if "uhd_fft"
works now (as well as your code).

You can go back to the release versions via:
{{{
sudo port -f deactivate gnuradio-devel uhd-devel
sudo port activate gnuradio uhd
}}}

Cheers! - MLD

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 09:07 AM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:

> Installed uhd-devel and launched uhd_fft. Another problem arises:
>
> RuntimeError:
> GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
> GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.0,
> but UHD library reports ABI: 3.11.0
> Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
> or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.
>
> At the same time I’ve been conducting tests on Sierra on another Mac
> (same macports gnuradio and UHD install). The I try uhd_fft i get:
>
> libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type
> uhd::io_error: EnvironmentError: IOError: usb rx6 transfer status:
> LIBUSB_TRANSFER_ERROR
> Abort trap: 6
>
> I dont know whats ABI, but I suppose its related to the issue. :)
>
> Any clues?

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
That seems to have done the trick.

Thanks Michael!

Leo

> On 4 Oct 2016, at 15:26, Michael Dickens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Leonardo  - Hmm ... OK; well, uhd-devel is not quite a drop-in
> replacement for uhd I guess. Maybe it is with minor version changes
> (e.g., 3.10.0 to 3.10.1)? Those clever UHD programmers at work, trying
> to keep the ABIs honest ...
>
> Anyway, you'll need to rebuild gnuradio to make use of the "new"
> uhd-devel install. To make this easier, you can keep the release
> versions as they are, and move to the devel versions for the latest
> code:
> {{{
> sudo port -f deactivate gnuradio
> sudo port install gnuradio-devel
> }}}
> After that, assuming it succeeds, do your testing & see if "uhd_fft"
> works now (as well as your code).
>
> You can go back to the release versions via:
> {{{
> sudo port -f deactivate gnuradio-devel uhd-devel
> sudo port activate gnuradio uhd
> }}}
>
> Cheers! - MLD
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 09:07 AM, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:
>> Installed uhd-devel and launched uhd_fft. Another problem arises:
>>
>> RuntimeError:
>> GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
>> GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.0,
>> but UHD library reports ABI: 3.11.0
>> Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
>> or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.
>>
>> At the same time I’ve been conducting tests on Sierra on another Mac
>> (same macports gnuradio and UHD install). The I try uhd_fft i get:
>>
>> libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type
>> uhd::io_error: EnvironmentError: IOError: usb rx6 transfer status:
>> LIBUSB_TRANSFER_ERROR
>> Abort trap: 6
>>
>> I dont know whats ABI, but I suppose its related to the issue. :)
>>
>> Any clues?

Re: [USRP-users] Problem B210 mac OS

Martin Braun via USRP-users
That's great, Leonardo. You're welcome & thanks for your solid reporting
& efforts! - MLD