[USRP-users] NI USRP 2940 R safe-mode button

[USRP-users] NI USRP 2940 R safe-mode button

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi All,
I have a NI USRP 2940 R which is unreachble via ethernet (1 Gb) after a changing of a firmware.

For changing the firmware I used the following command:
uhd_image_loader --args="type=x300,addr=192.168.10.2" --fpga-path="/usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_XG.lvbitx"

The procedure seems like successfully completed:
-- Initializing FPGA loading...successful.
-- Finalizing image load...successful.
Power-cycle the USRP X310 to use the new image.

But after the power-cycle I cant able to ping the USRP and also the commands uhd_find_devices and uhd_usrp_probe say "No UHD Devices Found". Therefore I was thinking to put my NI USRP 2940 R in safe-mode.

In the "GETTING STARTED GUIDE NI USRP-2940R/2942R/2943R Universal Software Radio Peripheral" (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375717f.pdf) in the section "Why Doesn't the Device IP Address Reset to the Default?", I found the procedure that says to locate the push-button switch (S2).

The problem is that unlike NI USRP 2920 in which the S2 button is easily to reach, I have not been able to find the safe-mode button inside the NI USRP 2940 R. I found only SW1 and SW3 buttons.

Has anyone idea on what are the buttons SW1 and SW3? Or better, how to reset the NI USRP 2940 R?

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Best Regards.

Francesco.

Re: [USRP-users] NI USRP 2940 R safe-mode button

Martin Braun via USRP-users

Hi Francesco,

you're right, the X3x0 (NI-USRP 294x and 295x) don't have a safe boot mode. Hence, there's also no such buttons.

First of all, make sure that your IP address hasn't changed when you power cycled; under some circumstances (amount of black cats, phase of moon, mood of NetworkManager), the program in charge of managing the network configuration just picks a new address when it senses a loss of connectivity, and then you might not be able to ping your USRP any more, even though it works correctly.

If, in fact, the flashing failed for some reason (or, and this might be the case here, you wrote an incorrect image file), your only option is to load a working image through the USB/JTAG connector. That sounds more complex than it is: The FPGA tools that Ettus came up with contain scripts to load images without much ado. The simplest way I've found:

1. make sure you've got the fpga source code. If you already have the UHD host code, a simple "git submodule update --init" will get that. Otherwise, clone https://github.com/EttusResearch/fpga;

2. get and install a free version of Xilinx Vivado 2015.4, find the cable driver installer (typically, /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2015.4/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers/install_drivers), run it with sudo (sudo ./install_drivers), then connect your USRP with USB.

3. let the scripts set up the paths etc, by "cd fpga/usrp3_rfnoc/top/x300; source setupenv.sh". From the same shell, run "viv_jtag_program /usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_XG.bit" (note the file suffix)

Best regards,

Marcus