[USRP-users] Cannot remove X310 image

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi,

I have acquired an X310 with an image based on the original uhd 3.8.2
image, not sure what it does but doing a uhd_usrp_probe with uhd 3.8.2
it works as expected, however no samples are emitted with the utilities,
it's hosed!

Anyways, I have tried the 3.8.2 burn program (usrp_x3xx_fpga_burner)
which fails, and currently tried the 3.9.4 uhd_image_loader.

uhd_image_loader fails (and similarly usrp_x3xx_fpga_burner) with:

Error: RunTimeError: Device reported an error during initialization.

I hacked the code in the x310_send_and_receive() function, somewhere in
the code,  to see if there is any kind of status message generated that
might help, the recv function returns a len of 4 (0 being a timeout),
which fails a subsequent check function that masks this len value (with
0x04, or whatever the def is) to determine that this is a failure. Sorry
to be a bit vague, I don't have the setup in front of me at the moment.

So, the real question is: How do I recover the unit and burn back a
working image, is it now only possible using Vivado/ISE/JTAG?

Hope you can help?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: [USRP-users] Cannot remove X310 image

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Hi David,

To answer your question: you do need Vivado in order to configure the FPGA over JTAG using the command: viv_jtag_program <bitfile path> .

Or you can use the hardware manager in Vivado. After you do that, you'll need to use uhd_image_loader to burn the same FPGA image so that it persists after a power cycle.

I would recommend upgrading UHD to a more recent tagged release as well.

-- Paul

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:08 AM, David Miller via USRP-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul,
I was able to get access to a machine with Vivado today and used the Hardware Manager to program the latest bitfile. I'll update the flash sometime later when I get UHD installed (the machine is RHEL5, too old for UHD).
The viv_jtag_program utility was not there (does it also use the jtag server?).
I was also surprised to see the XADC component/IP? on the FPGA.  Is there a way to access the environment data from it with a simple command line utility?
Thanks again,
Dave

On 20/09/2016 19:07, Paul David wrote:
[...]

You should be able to tab complete viv_jtag_program once you run the following:
source <path to uhd/fpga-src>/usrp3_rfnoc/top/x300/setupenv.sh

Assuming you're on the latest 3.10.0 release. That will load all the environment variables/data.

-- Paul

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:22 AM, David Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul and usrp-users,

So, I used Vivado hardware manager to program the FPGA with 3.9.4 bitfile (I'm stuck with 3.9.4 for the moment) and confirmed with uhd_usrp_probe that all appears OK.
I did not power cycle the X310.
But then trying to use uhd_image_loader with the 3.9.4 bitfile fails with the same "Error: RunTimeError: Device reported an error during initialization".

Maybe I should re-program the 3.8.2 image back first?

Any ideas?

[...]

Are you certain you're on the same version of UHD as the FPGA image?

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:42 AM, David Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

# Paul David
Staff Software Design Engineer
# Ettus Research - A National Instruments Company

Re: [USRP-users] Cannot remove X310 image

Martin Braun via USRP-users
Thank-you for replying...

Using Vivado hardware manager, program FPGA with...
uhd-images_003.009.004-release/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit
From what I remember uhd_usrp_probe states the loaded version is now 003.009.004... and not 003.008.002
then do:
uhd_image_loader --args addr=192.168.10.2,type=x300 --fpga-path uhd-images_003.009.004-release/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit
which returns the error.

Thanks,
Dave

On 30/09/2016 19:12, Paul David wrote:
[...]

003.009.004 is the host-side UHD library version, not the version of the FPGA image (these do have to be compatible, but FPGA versioning follows a different scheme). Loading a different FPGA image onto the USRP can't change that string.

Since you're using images from a path that indicates you want to use UHD 3.9.4, you must make sure that at runtime, no different version of UHD is accidentally loaded.

Best regards
Marcus

Am 1. Oktober 2016 02:29:37 GMT-07:00, schrieb David Miller via USRP-users <[hidden email]>:
Thank-you for replying...

Using Vivado hardware manager, program FPGA with...
uhd-images_003.009.004-release/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit
From what I remember uhd_usrp_probe states the loaded version is now 003.009.004... and not 003.008.002
[...]

Thanks Marcus,

Yeah, I must have remembered incorrectly about the version, the FPGA versioning makes sense, thanks.

It's a fresh install of UHD 3.9.4 on a new install of Centos7. No other version of UHD has been installed.

Thanks,
Dave

On 01/10/2016 16:51, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hi David,

003.009.004 is the host-side UHD library version, not the version of the FPGA image (these do have to be compatible, but FPGA versioning follows a different scheme). Loading a different FPGA image onto the USRP can't change that string.

Since you're using images from a path that indicates you want to use UHD 3.9.4, you must make sure that at runtime, no different version of UHD is accidentally loaded.

Best regards
Marcus

Am 1. Oktober 2016 02:29:37 GMT-07:00, schrieb David Miller via USRP-users [hidden email]:
Thank-you for replying...

Using Vivado hardware manager, program FPGA with...
uhd-images_003.009.004-release/share/uhd/images/usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.bit
From what I remember uhd_usrp_probe states the loaded version is now 003.009.004... and not 003.008.002
[...]

-- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: [USRP-users] Cannot remove X310 image

Martin Braun via USRP-users

Hi David,

ah, well. I was hoping we could quickly solve this, but let me contact you off-list in a minute, and we'll sort this out.

Thanks for your patience!
Marcus

On 10/01/2016 08:02 AM, David Miller wrote:
[...]

From what I remember uhd_usrp_probe states the loaded version is now 003.009.004... and not 003.008.002